Monday, July 9, 2012

Luck of the Irish

Galway, Ireland is a great city on the western edge of Ireland.  We traveled over to visit some family friends and see the sites in Ireland and England.  Our trip was in the early spring, and we encountered three seasons in the first hour of our arrival.  A warm breeze was quickly followed by hail and then rain.


The cities in Ireland are everything you expect them to be.  Warm.  Comfortable.  Gracious.  

My favorite story of Ireland actually took place in Dublin.  I was traveling up to Bangor, Northern Ireland and took the train from Galway through Dublin.  Of course I arrived in one train station and needed to transfer to another. There was a bus to aid in the shuttle of passengers, but I was confused and got off the bus one stop too soon.  Obviously not in the right place, I asked someone on the street if he could explain where the train station was.  The directions were simple.  Walk to the next corner, turn right and you'll see it at the end of the road 2 blocks up.  He then proceeded to walk me to the station to make sure I got there.  I just remember thinking there are so many cities in the world where that wouldn't have happened.  So gracious.

This week is a big one.  This week I could use a little luck of the Irish.  This week I want to be warm, comfortable and gracious.

No comments: